Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Thankful

Thankful. 

This is a word that in the coming month will be used a lot. For many of us, Thanksgiving is all about being thankful for the life that we have and the blessings that are around us. For some of us, Thanksgiving is about eating an amazing amount of food, taking a nap, then eating another amazing amount of food (and of course eating leftovers for a week following). 

I would like to take a moment right now to be thankful for the blessings in my life. Let's be honest, around the holidays we tend to get caught up in the "busyness" of everything. What with visiting family, friends, shopping for those great deals on Christmas presents, and the chaos of cooking enough food for an army...it is easy to forget why we are even doing all these things. 

So, here is a list of just a few of the things in my life that I am truly thankful for. Things that I really don't want to take for granted. Things that I should wake up every morning and thank God that He has seen fit to bless me. 

- My family. Not perfect, but I love them and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
- Alex. He is honestly more than I could have asked for in a future husband.
- Friends. Never did I imagine having a group of friends that feels more like family than anything.
- My bible(s). I never want to take for granted that I am free to read my bible wherever I choose.  
- My camera. God has blessed me with a way to earn income, that I truly enjoy.
- Music. Whether listening to it or participating, music is therapeutic to me. 
- My car. Get's me where I need to go, keeps me warm in the winter, cool in the summer.
- My computer. Keeping in touch with family out of state, helping teenage girls that I would never otherwise meet, the chance to market my business, and so much more.
- My bed. Sounds silly, but I have a bad back and my memory foam mattress topper is amazing. Also, I really enjoy sleeping.
- Coffee. There is something so comforting about a hot cup of coffee on a rainy fall morning.

This is just the beginning of a list that can go on forever. Trust me, once you start, it is hard to stop. You realize all the little things in your life that you are thankful to have. Obviously some things are really unimportant things that you can live without and be just fine, but that doesn't mean we can't be thankful for them anyway. 

I encourage you to sit down sometime when you have free time (before the craziness of the holidays begins) and make a list. Write down the things you are thankful for and a short blurb about why. Then here comes the crazy part, hang this list up somewhere in your house where you will see it every day. For me that will probably be by my desk where my computer is. But hang it up so you will see it and be reminded every day of the blessings in your life. Feel free to leave room on the bottom to add more. 

Have a wonderful day, and try to take some time to be thankful. It will make a huge difference in how you see the world. I know it did for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment