Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Be You-nique

As many of you who read my blog know, there are a lot of people getting engaged and married right now. We have all been to several weddings this summer and are already gearing up for all the weddings next summer.
It is a little different for me this year though, considering that one of the weddings I am going to next year is my brother's and one of them is my own wedding. It kind of puts it all in a new perspective. But I will say a few things about all these weddings going on. 

First, I have learned to appreciate how different every couple is. When you go to a wedding, you really get a glimpse of who the bride and groom are. You will see their family traditions, and usually their religious beliefs will come through along with that. Then there is the interesting aspect of the bride and groom's individual tastes somehow combining into one. Many will assume that everything down to the color of ribbon on the flowers was the bride's decision, but I am here to tell you that I have met plenty of grooms who had strong opinions on simple things like ribbons (my own fiance being one of them). 

Generally these days, you also get to see what kind of environment the couple is truly themselves in. I think it is normal for a couple to plan their wedding so that they are comfortable and able to truly be themselves. For instance, some couples get married in a church. For some, that is because of their beliefs. For others, it may be simply that they feel more comfortable in a place they grew up in or are familiar with. And then you have couples who get married in the woods, or by a lake. Maybe they are more comfortable outside, enjoying the beautiful surroundings that they have known their whole lives. And then there are people like me...

I want to get married outside for pretty much one, well maybe two reasons. Reason number one, I am a photographer. Indoor lighting is not my favorite, and nature makes for more beautiful photos if you ask me. Reason number two, I feel more free and comfortable being outside. I want to feel the sun on my back and a gentle breeze while I am standing with my husband-to-be, waiting to say "I do".

Another thing I have learned this summer is that I want my wedding to be unique. I want it to really reflect who I am, who Alex is, and who we are together. I want to express all the little quirks about our personalities and demonstrate just how much we really love and care for each other. More than anything, I want to have a day where we get to celebrate our relationship with all of our friends and family, all the people who have been a part of our relationship since before it even began.

That being said, brace yourselves. This wedding might be unlike any you have been to. Yes, we will have a pretty traditional ceremony. But after that, who knows what will happen? 

At this point I can confidently say that I am ecstatic to plan our wedding. And more than that, I am thrilled to be starting this chapter of my life with the most amazing man. A man that I am amazed saw fit to choose me and ask me to spend the rest of my life with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment